AEC Truck PDF Manuals, Fault Codes and Wiring Diagrams

Astra Truck Manuals PDF Free Download

AEC Matador Driver's Manual
AEC Matador Driver's Manual
AEC Matador Driver's Manual.pdf
Adobe Acrobat Document 1.8 MB
AEC Matador Truck Simple Driving & Maintenance Manual
AEC Matador Truck Simple Driving & Maintenance Manual
AEC Matador Truck Simple Driving & Maint
Adobe Acrobat Document 538.2 KB

AEC History

   The history of the birth of trucks of the British company AEC is a kind of exception to the rule. At the beginning of the 20th century, ordinary truck chassis were used to create buses, but AEC trucks appeared in exactly the opposite way. In 1908, three London motor omnibus companies decided to merge into one company, called the General London Omnibus Company, abbreviated as LGOC. This group became the owner of the largest part of London's buses: in the year of its foundation, it owned 885 of the 1066 metropolitan public transport vehicles. In 1909, in the premises of one of the partners, the Vanguard transport company, in the town of Walthamstow near London, the assembly of the first Model X buses was established with units from three English firms Daimler, Wolseley and Tilling-Stevens. A year later, one of the most famous British city buses of the pre-war period, the 2-story model B, was created on their basis.

The B-series chassis was designed for a total weight of 5 tons and made it possible to use it to create trucks. Such an opportunity presented itself after 12 June 1912, when the LGOC became dependent on the company to operate the London Underground. The new management decided to separate the production of buses into an independent company, associated with or attached to the main transport company. In the early years of its existence, the company was engaged only in the assembly of model B buses. The idea to use their chassis for trucks was born at the beginning of the First World War, however, the first batch of 3-ton army trucks AEC model Y with 30 hp engines. was made only in 1916. A year later, an improved YA model (45 hp) appeared. By 1919, 10 thousand of these trucks were manufactured.

After the First World War, the production of civilian variants of the first series - YB and YC continued. In 1923, they were replaced by a 2.5-ton truck, which was a completely original design. It turned out to be the lightest in the AEC program in the entire history of the company, which gradually began to lean towards the manufacture of more powerful machines with a carrying capacity of at least 5 tons. The deteriorating general economic situation in the country forced the AEC to conclude a cooperation agreement with Daimler in 1926, creating a second associated company, the Associated Daimler Company. Until 1928, under this brand, trucks and buses were produced on the AEC chassis with Daimler engines. But the partners disagreed about new developments and two years later continued their independent existence. By this time, AEC buses continued to be the most popular. High profits from their sale to many cities in Great Britain and in the colony made it possible in 1927 to commission a new plant in Southall.

An important decision, which was reflected in the entire subsequent history of AEC, was the invitation in 1928 of engineer J. Rackham to the position of chief designer. The embodiment of his ideas over time has made the AEC brand synonymous with quality and reliability.


In 1928-30. a new AEC cargo program begins to take shape. The first models were light bonnet Mercury and Majestic with a carrying capacity of 4 and 6 tons with 4-cylinder gasoline engines with a capacity of 65 hp. and pneumatic tyres. The first model with a cab over the engine was in 1930 a 2-axle Mammoth with a load capacity of 7-8 tons with an overhead valve gasoline engine with a capacity of 100 hp. and massive solid tires. Two years later, a cabover 5-ton version of the Matador was created on the Mercury chassis, which for the first time received a prototype of a swirl-chamber diesel engine with a Ricardo block head.

In 1961, a fairly large British company Thornycroft was acquired, which produced a wide range of road and off-road vehicles. But already in August 1962, the merged firms were taken over by the automobile concern Leyland Motors. From that moment on, the era of independence ended and the rapid decline of the AEC began. Her cars, while retaining their former sonorous names, gradually lost their external individuality and became similar to all other Leylands. The first symbol of change was the Leyland Ergomatic cabin, which since 1964 was installed on the entire range of AEC machines. In 1968, "in the name of eliminating unnecessary internal competition," the production program of both companies was rationalized, and AEC began to produce products completely similar to Leyland .

The former AEC was fully integrated into the "Leyland" group, becoming the Truck and Bus Division of British Leyland Vehicles. This meant that only the old chassis with Leyland engines, 6-, 10- or 12-speed gearboxes and new cabs were retained under the AEC brand. Marshall 3-axle trucks (6x2/6x4) and Mandator 2-axle tractors with 272 hp V8 engine enjoyed the greatest success. for work as a part of the main road trains with a gross weight up to 32 tons. Trucks of the heavy "Mammoth" family also did not escape the fate of the unification of the model ranges, after the acquisition of AEC by Leyland. Like other upgraded AEC models, the "Mammoth" series received a Leyland Ergomatic cab. On most trucks, the AEC brand disappeared in 1977. She remained on buses for another year and a half.